Thursday, February 20, 2014

Day 13: The Steps of a Good Man are Ordered by the Lord.

Hello All! It has been crazy over here in the Epps' household! I couldn't find any time to blog yesterday....well I could have, but I cheated and then felt disgusted with myself. :(  I ate 3 Oreo cookies, a hand full of Cheez-its and a piece of valentine candy. I didn't want it on Valentine's day, but all of a sudden it looked good to me! LOL, however, today is another day.

Cooking and researching recipes really does help me stay motivated and on track. I didn't do any cooking yesterday, and figured I could get away with leftovers. Sitting around most of the day, crunching numbers and filling out paper work does nothing for your wellness motivation - it makes a gal wanna munch.

Today is a new day! I learned that I can and should treat myself to something I really want...occasionally. Preservatives, bad carbs, sugar, and any product made or fed with GMO's are not good for you. I'm trying to change our bad eating habits, but this is not going to happen over night - and gosh darnit, those bad foods taste soooo good!

Okay, I'm over that break down...and nothing tasted as good as I thought it would. :/
Although today was pretty busy as well, I made it my business to whip up a few things tonight. Oh, and I ate out for lunch this afternoon. I had a wonderful chicken salad from Moe's southwest grill.

I wanted to try a blue berry muffin recipe from the Beyond Diet recipe board, and since I had some blueberries in the frig...here it is:


Blueberry Muffins to 'Live' For

I don't know about that, but they are good enough to throw in a ziplock bag and take along with you during busy days. This recipes makes 12 muffins and they are only 1 carb each! The next time I make them, I'll sweeten them up a little more and maybe use coconut or almond meal instead.


 1. Mix dry ingredients (spelt flour, stevia, salt, baking powder) in one bowl and wet ingredients (applesauce, egg, almond milk) in another bowl.


 
2. Mix each bowl until ingredients are well combined. Gently and with as little stirring as possible, mix the wet and dry together just until most of the dry is moistened.

 
3.  Fold in the blueberries just until somewhat evenly distributed. Scoop the batter into 12 lined muffin cups and bake in a pre-heated 400 F (200 C) oven until just browned - about 20 min.

 
4. Remove from pan and cool.


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups spelt flour
4 1/2 tsp stevia
1/2 tsp salt
2 generous tsp of baking powder
Generous 1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg
1/3 cup almond milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

 Like I said, today was busy so I literally threw my dinner together after making these muffins.

Quick Broccoli Bowl

1. Pour some EVOO into a pan over medium high heat
2. Crush 2 cloves of garlic in there
3. Add a few flakes of crushed pepper
4. Take a bag of frozen broccoli (I used one of those Steamfresh bags) and microwaved it for half the time suggested in the directions just to blanch it).
5. Toss the broccoli in with the other ingredients and shake the pan around like a real chef for a while
6. Pour your meal into a bowl and top with real bacon bits left over from breakfast and some almond slivers. Delish!

While I was playing with bacon - I showed my friend, Lorraine that you can make a yummy copycat recipe out of Raw products.
 
 Here I used some of the leftover chocolate pecan torte and topped it with bacon and a dot of chocolate syrup!
Viola, in ya face!
 

 

Thank you all for following and reading my blogs, I truly enjoy food!

Before I go, I wanted to share some scripture with you from my morning bible study. It touched my heart and spoke to my spirit as to my life's journey with food, family and everything else. Enjoy, and thank God for your daily bread.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and He delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand. Although we may not see our way in the distance, He's leading us, step by step. This way we're always depending upon Him.  ~Psalms 37:23-24 
God will keep us from being ruined by our falls either into sin or into trouble. A good man may be overtaken in a fault, but the grace of God shall recover him to repentance, so that he shall not be utterly cast down.  
The root shall be kept alive, though the leaf wither; and there will come a spring after the winter.  

Be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment