Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Day 4: Healthy Valentine's Day Choices

Chocolate, Chocolate and more Chocolate!!!

 'Tis the season to be tempted! How do we enjoy special occasions with friends and family, and stay on track with our new eating habits? Day four was full of discovery for this foodaholic.  

1. Plan...plan...plan. Just like becoming a new mother, your life has now changed. If you don't plan your meals or plan ahead for meals, you will end up either skipping them, eating unhealthy substitutes, or binge eating. I learned after day two that I need to: pack snacks, prepare extra food for leftovers, and bring my own special needs with me during outings.
Example #1: Red Robin has a veggie burger (trying to lessen my input of none grass fed meat), but the burger is on a regular bun or over lettuce (I'm also lowering bad carbs). I love bread, so a bun is a must. Ezekiel bread has hamburger buns (made of sprouted whole grain) - so, I bring one with me. I know the jury is still out on eating veggie burgers from restaurants because of the cross contamination with meats, but what is one to do? I'm picking my battles.
Example #2:  I boil all my eggs for the week at one time so that I can assemble my breakfast sandwich quickly. (Breakfast sandwich = Ezekiel bread, boiled egg, turkey bacon and hard cheese).



2. I learned that there are some raw drink options for me at my local supermarket other than water
 (again - not a water fan - don't judge me).
     a. Chocolate almond milk
     b. GT's organic raw Kombucha Gingerade 
     c. There were also some green tea products



3. I also learned that there are tons of delicious desserts that I can make that wont taste like cardboard. I'm glad because I have a sweet tooth. In preparing for Valentine's Day, which is quickly approaching, let's start with making anything chocolate.
This is what I made today, I hope you like it too...

Chocolate Bliss Balls  


  1. Add almonds and sunflower seeds to a food processor or Magic Bullet and process until coarsely ground.
  2. Add dates, sea salt and cinnamon then process again until blended. (FYI: I added finely shredded coconut here - about 1/4 cup, for added sweetness)
     

3.  Scoop mixture by tablespoons and shape into a ball.


4.  Roll in cocoa powder and refrigerate until ready to eat.

Ingredients:




I hope to make another dessert before Friday. Strawberries and more chocolate are in the near future. Try this one and let me know the outcome.

God bless, and thank Him for giving you your daily bread!


Me in my Valentine's Day lipstick.



















No comments:

Post a Comment