Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day 6: Snowed In, What To Do?!

Snowed in again, blogger readers! This is the ninth snow day of the school year for us here in the Pocono mountain area. I have cleaned every bathroom, vacuumed all the carpets, dusted every ceiling fan, mopped the dirty boot printed kitchen floor, and tidied up the bedrooms.  What else is a girl to do?  Netflix is running out of decent movies for me to watch. I said to self, "J, you better do something before the crave to munch kicks in!. So bloggers, I hit the internet and found some new ideas that consisted of ingredients that I already have in the house. Then I made a bee-line to the kitchen.
 

 

Lunch:

Tuna Salad Surprise
 
1. One ripe avocado, and a can of tuna in water.
 

2. Pour water off of tuna, peel and slice or cube avocado. 

 
 3. Add your favorite seasonings. I added sea salt, crushed black pepper, lemon pepper seasoning, squeezed half of a lemon, a teaspoon of mustard, and a left over boiled egg from breakfast. (fresh lemon is key to taste)

 
 Here I have my salad plated with three Wasa fiber crispbreads and a lemon wedge. I later diced a tomato on top. This salad is awesome! It tastes like homemade guacamole with tuna added. GREAT!


After lunch I decided to make the dessert I stated I was making on yesterday's blog. This recipe I found from my favorite healthy eating website, Healing Gourmet.

Chocolate Pecan Torte

 

1. Whip out the food processor again for this one bowl/machine recipe.

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Grease a 8 or 9" round or springform pan.
  • Using the  food processor, pulse pecans until they are a coarse meal.
  • (confession: I did not have pecans so I used walnuts, and I didn't have enough of those either so I added some almonds too :/ lol)



    2.  Add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse again.
         Add the wet ingredients and process until well-blended.


    3. Pour into pan and transfer to oven. 
        Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

    WOW!  I'm so amazed by how some nuts can actually rise to the occasion as cake!

    Let cool, then slice and serve.

     
    I used a circular cutter to make these cute finger food size poppers, this is the actual cake size below...

     
     This torte is moist and sweet without that sweetener after taste. It is also very satisfying. Tomorrow, if the snow has cleared up, I'm going to buy some strawberries to put on top. Yummy.

    Ingredients:
    Every product I use is not organic. I'm still adding to my cupboards. Many of these foods can be costly.



    Tomorrow, I will share the outcome of this!


    Visit me again for day SEVEN tomorrow!
    Stay warm and dry America. Please also join me in praying for everyone who is without a home or who do not have shelter in and out of extreme weather conditions; praying that God will provide each day our daily bread. 

    Loving God, you made us in your image and blessed us with wisdom, creativity, skill, compassion and love.
    Give us sight to see your children in need, ability to hear your call to serve, and willingness to be your hands and feet.
    Amen
    (from Habitat for Humanity International prayer for shelter)

    If you see someone in need, extend a helping hand.






















     


    No comments:

    Post a Comment